Friday, May 9, 2008

Hainanese on Hainan Island Day 3 - Mother's Day Special

Day 3, I was awakened by roosters screaming at the top of their tiny lungs early in the morning. The sky was still dark, but my relatives were all awake and ready to go out to the farms to work. I tried my best to thank them in my rotten command of hainanese, and left the village for the hotel.

By the time I was back at the hotel, it was 7am. I took a much-needed shower, and headed to the restaurant in the hotel. I had dim sum for breakfast, which tasted like crap.

After the bad breakfast I met the rest of my family at the hotel lobby. My mom was excited, but nervous at the same time. Then I remembered: I am going to meet my real grandmother for the first time in my life.

Took about 2hrs to reach our destination, then waited for another 1/2 hr. My mom was restless, and I didn't know what to expect. Then finally, they're here.

Tearful reunion of mother and daughter.

It was more than 50 years since they have met each other, but once my grandma entered the building, they could recognise each other immediately. A moment so touching even I had trouble holding back my tears. For the first time ever, hi grandma.

While the ladies were crying, I was more interested in this award-winning 冬瓜。 Weighs 32 kg.

I went to greet my grandmother when she calmed down, but when she saw me she burst out in tears again, and hugged me. For someone with such a tiny frame, she was pretty strong. She held on to my arm and refused to let go.

When I finally shook off her grasp, I decided to go out for a stroll. The whole crying drama was too much for me.

Siol.

Luxury Automobile Chery QQ.

After walking around, it's time for lunch. Went back to the restaurant.

Chinese Foie Gras. Obviously they don't know how to do it.

Hainanese confection, called b'uah, or that's how you pronounce it. As usual, there's the black sesame version (above), and the white sesame version (at the top left corner)

Meet my pet fly. I call it bubbles. He drowned himself in a bowl of chilli though.

The only traffic light I saw for the 4 days on Hainan Island.

After dinner we bade farewell, and after almost an hour of crying and hugging, my grandma finally decided to let go of my arm. We took a cab back to the hotel, which was another 2 hours ride.

Before.
After. Huat ah!

As we had an early lunch, we were back at the hotel at 3+pm.

Ice cold Anchor at the lobby cafe. Nothing beats ice cold beer on a hot afternoon.

It's been 3 days since we arrived at Hainan Island, so my sis and I decided to wander off by ourselves since we didn't have the opportunity to do with yet.

Threading.

So fun.

Soccer betting, Horse betting, Table Tennis betting?!

We also saw a Hainanese opera troupe performing in a pavilion.

Oh whales, time to go back to the hotel. We took a 三轮车,which looks like tuk-tuks from Thailand. It's actually a modified scooter, so it's very slow, and very loud. But how can I complain when it's 2RMB per trip, regardless of location?

Please, MTV, pimp his ride.

It's dinnertime again! The dinners I had in Hainan Island were always the same, 文昌鸡, 羊肉汤, some assorted veggies and assorted seafood. The reason why there's no photos of 羊肉汤 is because there wasn't a chance for me to take any, by the time the camera is out there's nothing left in the pot.

The hotel I stayed in. 维嘉大酒店。Looks nice, but no facilities whatsoever.

Mmmm, more dogs. Yummy.

Here, have some food. I promise I won't eat you.

You want more? But I'll have to eat you after that.

馒头 again!

*WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGE BELOW*
Rubbish on the floor. People here spit and litter on the floor during meals. Really gross, but I just had to take a picture of it to share the love.

Yet another number plate-less car. The reason why car owners take off the car number plate is so that they wont get caught by the traffic police while speeding. Don't you wish you can do it in Singapore too?

Went back to the hotel, washed up, and went to a... KTV pub to... sing. Then went back to sleep. lulz.

No comments: